R-3.7, R-4.2 or R-6.1 and a Vapor/Moisture Barrier
Note: Installation instructions and illustrated drawings are recommendations only, while proper local construction methods are the responsibility of the installer.
The Do-It-Yourselfer has several options to choose from when finishing a Masonry Wall. Reflectix® provides three such options that do not require the addition of a stud wall. The structure of the masonry wall is utilized to support the system. The product is easy to install and contains no fibers or dust that would require respirators or protective garments.
Double Reflective Insulation
Staple Tab, Reflective/Bubble/Bubble/Reflective – Roll
- ST16025 (16” x 25’)
- R-3.7 to R-6.1 (depending on size of air space)
- Vapor retarder / moisture barrier
- Easy to handle and install
- Convenient roll sizes
- Not affected by moisture or humidity
- Lightweight and clean
Double Reflective Insulation
There are three “levels of benefit” options
1. R-3.7 (1”x 2” nominal furring)
- Attach 1”x 2” (nominal) furring strips vertically at an interval of 16” on center to the masonry wall (with an adhesive or fastener that is specified for this application).
- Cut the Reflectix® Reflective/Bubble/Bubble/Reflective, Staple Tab product (using scissors or a utility knife) into lengths equal to the height of the wall (floor to ceiling).
- Staple the product to the face of the furring strip – product seams should split on a furring strip.
- One air space is created between the Reflectix® and the masonry wall.
- Finish with interior panel (or sheetrock) of choice.
2. R-4.2 (2”x 2” nominal furring)
- Same as above except utilize 2”x 2” (nominal) furring
3. R-6.1 (2”x 2” nominal furring)
- Same as above, except the product is not stapled to the face of the furring strip.
- Staple the product to the side of the furring strip at a depth of 3/4”. The goal is to split the cavity (in two) into approximately equal air spaces.
- The two air spaces created are: one between the Reflectix® and the masonry wall, and the other between the new interior panel and the Reflectix®.
Review These Important Safety Guidelines Prior to Installation:
- ALWAYS check local building codes before installing Reflectix®.
- ALWAYS check the area you are insulating and make any needed repairs. Any worn wiring should be replaced before you begin installing Reflectix®.
- ALWAYS make sure work areas are well ventilated and well lighted.
- ALWAYS use eye protection when operating a staple gun.
- ALWAYS use caution and common sense when using a staple gun. Be aware of electrical wiring locations. Stapling into a wire can cause severe shock or death. NEVER staple into electrical wiring.
- ALWAYS be careful when working with large pieces of Reflectix® on windy days.
- When installing Reflectix® on bright sunny days, it is best to wear sun glasses.
- Do not work in areas such as attics when temperatures are too hot.
- Please Note: The intention of these Installation Instructions and 3-D renderings are for the sole purpose of illustrating the correct location and relative position of the Reflectix® products in specific building assemblies. The correct construction methods and techniques are the responsibility of the installer or contractor. The methods outlined are recommendations on location of the Reflectix® products as a guideline. There are no claims on the part of Reflectix, Inc. that these building assemblies are finite standards or meet building code requirements (as they can vary by region).
FTC Fact Sheet
Testing and Certification
Reflectix® products are thoroughly tested at either nationally approved, independent laboratories or leading universities. Tests are performed to current American Society of Testing and Materials (ASTM) standards when a standard exists. To obtain a copy of our Product Testing Specifications, please refer to the “Additional Resources” tab. The documents are also available by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (800) 879-3645.
Add'l Resources / Literature
Pictured: 1. Double Reflective Insulation, 2. Double Reflective Insulation with Staple Tab, 3. Tools for Installation