When considering options for a crawl space, Reflectix® Reflective/Bubble product is the easiest (to handle) choice available. It comes in convenient roll sizes that install cleanly and quickly. The product is dust and fiber-free, and does not require any protective garments or respirators to work with.
The Reflectix® Double Reflective Insulation consists of two layers of highly reflective film (94%+ reflectivity) that are bonded to two tough layers of polyethylene. Two inner layers of insulating bubbles and a center layer of polyethylene provide this easy to handle product with high strength and reliability.
- A labor reducer because of its easy to handle and install characteristics
- No need to insulate ducts or pipes between the product and the sub-floor
- Works great for retrofit installations
- R-16 and fiber-free
- Costs less to install than alternative insulations
- Does not require protective clothing or respirators to install
- Resists growth of fungi, mold & mildew
- Does not promote nesting of insects or rodents
- Vapor / Radon retarder
- When properly installed, prevents ground moisture from causing dry rot
- ISO 9001:2008 certified manufacturing location
Part Numbers and Sizes
Double Reflective Insulation (Reflective/Bubble)
- HVST16050 (16”x 50’)
- HVST24050 (24”x 50’)
- HVST48050 (48”x 50’)
- HVST16100 (16”x 100’)
- HVST24100 (24”x 100’)
- HVST48100 (48”x 100’)
- HVST16125 (16”x 125’)
- HVST24125 (24”x 125’)
- HVST48125 (48”x 125’)
- Temperature Range: -60 to 180 F
- Nominal Thickness: 5/16 inch (.312)
- Weight: 0.771 oz./sq. ft.
- Flame Spread Index (ASTM E 84): Less than 25
- Smoke Developed Index (ASTM E 84): Less than 50
- Mounting Method (ASTM E 2599)
- Fire Rating: Class A/Class 1
- Linear Shrinkage: None
- Reflectance (IR): 94%+
- Water Vapor Transmission (ASTM E 96): 0.02
- Puncture Resistance: 60 lb./in.
- Mold and Mildew: No Growth
- Emittance: Less than 0.06
- Tensile Strength: 3.7 N/mm
- Pliability: No Cracking
- Hot Surface Performance: Passed (250 F)
Testing and Certification
- Thermal Performance ASTM C1363
- Thermal Performance of Wall Systems ASTM C1363
- Thermal Performance ASTM C335
- Thermal Performance of Crawl Space ASTM C1363
- Hot Surface Performance ASTM C411
- Heat Transfer (Heat Flow Up, Down, Horizontal) ASTM C1363
- Thermal Performance of Reflectix® and Fiberglass in Walls ASTM C1363
- Heat Transfer of Air-Handling Ducts with Reflectix®
- Flame Spread and Smoke Density ASTM E84
- Mounting Method ASTM E2599
- Fungus Resistance Mil-Std 810B Method 508
- Pliability Test ASTM C1224
- Sound Absorption Test ASTM C423 and ASTM E795
- Sound Transmission Loss ASTM E90 and ASTM E413
- Water Vapor Transmission ASTM E96
- Tensile Strength ASTM D751
- Emittance Testing ASTM C1371
- Thermal Performance of Water Heater Jackets
- Intertek: Surface Burning Characteristics of Building Materials ASTM E84 (Taped Joint Detail) Test Report # 3166908SAT-012
- Intertek: Surface Burning Characteristics of Building Materials ASTM E84 (Unslit) Test Report # 3166908SAT-011
- R&D Services: Resistance to the Growth of Fungi ASTM C1338 Test Report # RD072713FR
- State of California
- State of California Licensed Insulation Manufacturer
- State of Minnesota: Filed with Minnesota Insulation Standards Program
- State of Wisconsin: Wisconsin Material Approval, Safety and Buildings Division Approval # 920088-1
- R&D Services Emittance Testing
- R&D Services: Physical Properties Sheet Width, Length, Pliability, Water Vapor Permanence and Aged Water Vapor Permanence
- R&D Services: Water Vapor Transmission Test ASTM E96 (Dessicant Method)
Note: Installation instructions and illustrated drawings are recommendations only, while proper local construction methods are the responsibility of the installer.
- Inspect the crawl space and make any needed repairs before installing the Reflectix® Double Reflective Insulation.
- Check the crawl space to determine whether the floor joists are 16” or 24” on-center.
- Determine if there are water pipes and heating ducts which hang below the floor joists. They will need to be insulated. Reflectix® Pipe Wrap and Duct Insulations are designed specifically for this use. There is no need to wrap water pipes or duct work that fall between floor joists. Reflectix® will provide adequate insulating without extra wrapping.
- Start at the end of the house and face staple to the bottom of the floor joists. Seal seams with Reflectix® Foil Tape to create a vapor barrier. At the end, staple up to the sub-floor or band board.
- Note: Existing mass insulation in the joist cavities must be dry prior to installing the Reflectix® product.
Review These Important Safety Guidelines Prior to Installation:
- ALWAYS check local building codes before installing Reflectix®.
- ALWAYS check the area you are insulating and make any needed repairs. Any worn wiring should be replaced before you begin installing Reflectix®.
- ALWAYS make sure work areas are well ventilated and well lighted.
- ALWAYS use eye protection when operating a staple gun.
- ALWAYS use caution and common sense when using a staple gun. Be aware of electrical wiring locations. Stapling into a wire can cause severe shock or death. NEVER staple into electrical wiring.
- ALWAYS be careful when working with large pieces of Reflectix® on windy days.
- When installing Reflectix® on bright sunny days, it is best to wear sun glasses.
- Do not work in areas such as attics when temperatures are too hot.
- Please Note: The intention of these Installation Instructions and 3-D renderings are for the sole purpose of illustrating the correct location and relative position of the Reflectix® products in specific building assemblies. The correct construction methods and techniques are the responsibility of the installer or contractor. The methods outlined are recommendations on location of the Reflectix® products as a guideline. There are no claims on the part of Reflectix, Inc. that these building assemblies are finite standards or meet building code requirements (as they can vary by region).
FTC Fact Sheet
Pictured: 1. Double Reflective Insulation, 2. Double Reflective Insulation with Staple Tab, 3. Product Installation