Note: Installation instructions and illustrated drawings are recommendations only, while proper local construction methods are the responsibility of the installer.
Reflectix® Duct Insulation is an alternative to other types of fibrous insulation products. Ease of handling and quick installation make Reflectix® the first choice when selecting insulation for round or rectangular ductwork in HVAC systems. The product provides an R-6.0 when installed flush, with an overlap across the top of the duct.
The Reflectix® R-6.0 Duct Insulation is a nominal 1” thick and consists of two outer reflective surfaces that enclose a center layer of polyethylene big bubbles. The product has printed code certification that runs the length of the roll. The printed information includes R-value, ASTM numbers, manufacturer’s name and testing.
- Wrap rectangular or round ductwork in HVAC applications
- Heating costs can be greatly reduced
- Eliminate unnecessary heat loss / gain and air leakage
- Helps to ensure consistent temperatures
- Itch and fiber-free
- Inhibits condensation
- Non-toxic / non-carcinogenic
- Lightweight and clean
- Lowers heating and cooling costs
- Reflects 94%+ of radiant energy
- Costs less to install
- Requires less air space than fiberglass to achieve R-6.6
- Class A / Class 1 Fire Rating
- Does not promote nesting of birds, insects or rodents
- Resists growth of fungi, mold and mildew
- Does not require protective clothing or respirators to install year-round
- Not affected by moisture or humidity
- Reduces heat loss or gain in a duct system
- ISO 9001:2008 certified manufacturing location
Part Numbers and Sizes
- HVBB48075 (48”x 75’)
- Temperature Range: -60 to +180 F
- Nominal Thickness: 1 inch
- Weight: 1.25 oz./sq. ft.
- Flame Spread Index (ASTM E 84): Less than 25
- Smoke Developed Index (ASTM E 84): Less than 50
- Fire Rating: Class A/Class 1
- Linear Shrinkage: None
- Reflectance (IR): 94%+
- Water Vapor Transmission (ASTM E 96): 0.02
- Puncture Resistance: 60 lb./in.
- Mold and Mildew: No Growth
- Emittance: Less than 0.06
- Tensile Strength: 3.7 N/mm
- Pliability: No Cracking
- Hot Surface Performance: 250 F
Passed Note: Not for use in direct contact on surface temperatures that are 180 F or greater.
Testing and Certification
- Thermal Performance ASTM C335
- Thermal Conductivity and Thermal Resistance of Blanket ASTM C518
- Hot Surface Performance ASTM C411
- Flame Spread and Smoke Density ASTM E84
- Fungus Resistance Mil-Std 810B Method 508
- Pliability Test ASTM C1224
- Sound Absorption Test ASTM C423 and ASTM E795
- Sound Transmission Loss ASTM E90 and ASTM E413
- Water Vapor Transmission ASTM E96
- Tensile Strength ASTM D751
- Emittance Testing ASTM C1371
- Bleeding and Delamination ASTM C1668
- Intertek: Test for Surface Burning Characteristics of Building Materials ASTM E84-10b (Taped Joint Detail) Test Report # 100402776SAT- 001D Rev 1
- Intertek: Test for Surface Burning Characteristics of Building Materials ASTM E84-10 (Unslit) Test Report # 100054110SAT-007G Rev 1
- R&D Services: Resistance to the Growth of Fungi ASTM C1338-00 Test Report # RD10510
- State of California
- State of California Licensed Insulation Manufacturer
- State of Minnesota: Filed with Minnesota Insulation Standards Program
- R&D Services Emittance Testing
- R&D Services: Physical Properties Sheet Width, Length, Pliability, Water Vapor Permanence and Aged Water Vapor Permanence
- R&D Services: Water Vapor Transmission Test ASTM-E96 (Dessicant Method)
Round or Rectangular Ducts
- Make sure all metal joints, seams and penetrations are sealed.
- Verify circumference of the duct.
- Rectangular Duct: Cut the Reflectix® product to this length plus the width of the top panel of the duct.
- Round Duct: Cut the Reflectix® product to this length plus an additional 25% in length.
- Wrap the product around the duct and overlap the top panel (rectangular) or upper 25% (round) of the duct.
- Securely tape the linear and circumference seams with a UL 181 approved tape (goal is an air-tight, snug seam seal). Do not leave any exposed
- duct or space where air can enter between the duct and the Reflectix®.
Please Note Regarding Hangers:
Strap Hanger: Wrap Reflectix® with the seam at the hanger. Tape seam tightly around hanger.
Review These Important Safety Guidelines Prior to Installation:
- ALWAYS check local building codes before installing Reflectix®.
- ALWAYS check the area you are insulating and make any needed repairs. Any worn wiring should be replaced before you begin installing Reflectix®.
- ALWAYS make sure work areas are well ventilated and well lighted.
- ALWAYS use eye protection when operating a staple gun.
- ALWAYS use caution and common sense when using a staple gun. Be aware of electrical wiring locations. Stapling into a wire can cause severe shock or death. NEVER staple into electrical wiring.
- ALWAYS be careful when working with large pieces of Reflectix® on windy days.
- When installing Reflectix® on bright sunny days, it is best to wear sun glasses.
- Do not work in areas such as attics when temperatures are too hot.
- Please Note: The intention of these Installation Instructions and 3-D renderings are for the sole purpose of illustrating the correct location and relative position of the Reflectix® products in specific building assemblies. The correct construction methods and techniques are the responsibility of the installer or contractor. The methods outlined are recommendations on location of the Reflectix® products as a guideline. There are no claims on the part of Reflectix, Inc. that these building assemblies are finite standards or meet building code requirements (as they can vary by region).
Pictured: 1. Big Bubble Duct Insulation, 2. Big Bubble Close-up