Note: Installation instructions and illustrated drawings are recommendations only, while proper local construction methods are the responsibility of the installer.
This application is a great option to reduce the energy consumption of your customer’s water heater. Not only is Reflectix® quick and easy to install, it will pay for itself in as quickly as 9 months.
The Reflectix® Double Reflective Insulation consists of two layers of highly reflective film (94%+) that are bonded to two tough layers of polyethylene. Two inner layers of insulating bubbles and a center layer of polyethylene provide this easy to handle product with high strength and reliability.
- Reflectix “No Itch” Insulation is easy to handle and install.
- This upgrade will pay for itself in as little as 9 months
- Reduces annual energy costs of the heater
- Itch and fiber-free
- Inhibits condensation
- Non-toxic / non-carcinogenic
- Lightweight and clean
- Costs less to install
- Reflects 94%+ of radiant energy
- Class A / Class 1 Fire Rating
- Resists growth of fungi, mold and mildew
- Does not require protective clothing or respirators to install
- Not affected by moisture or humidity
- ISO 9001:2008 certified manufacturing location
Part Numbers and Sizes
- HVBP48050 (48”x 50’)
- HVBP48100 (48”x 100’)
- HVBP48125 (48”x 125’)
- Temperature Range: -60 to 180 F
- Nominal Thickness: 5/16 inch (.312)
- Weight: 0.771 oz./sq. ft.
- Flame Spread Index (ASTM E 84): Less than 25
- Smoke Developed Index (ASTM E 84): Less than 50
- Mounting Method (ASTM E 2599)
- Fire Rating: Class A / Class 1
- Linear Shrinkage: None
- Reflectance (IR): 94%+
- Water Vapor Transmission (ASTM E 96): 0.02
- Puncture Resistance: 60 lb./in.
- Mold and Mildew: No Growth
- Emittance: Less than 0.06
- Tensile Strength: 3.7 N/mm
- Pliability: No Cracking
- Hot Surface Performance: Passed (250 F)
- Note: Not for use in direct contact on surface temperatures that are 180 F or greater.
Testing and Certification
- Thermal Performance of Wall Systems ASTM C1363
- Thermal Performance of HVAC Duct System ASTM C335
- Thermal Performance of Crawl Space ASTM C1363
- Hot Surface Performance ASTM C411
- Heat Transfer (Heat Flow Up, Down, Horizontal) ASTM C1363
- Thermal Performance of Reflectix® and Fiberglass in Walls ASTM C1363
- Heat Transfer of Air-Handling Ducts with Reflectix®
- Flame Spread and Smoke Density ASTM E84
- Mounting Method ASTM E2599
- Fungus Resistance Mil-Std 810B Method 508
- Pliability Test ASTM C1224
- Sound Absorption Test ASTM C423 and ASTM E795
- Sound Transmission Loss ASTM E90 and ASTM E413
- Water Vapor Transmission ASTM E96
- Tensile Strength ASTM D751
- Emittance Testing ASTM C1371
- Thermal Performance of Water Heater Jackets
- Intertek: Surface Burning Characteristics of Building Materials ASTM E84 (Taped Joint Detail) Test Report # 3166908SAT-012
- Intertek: Surface Burning Characteristics of Building Materials ASTM E84 (Unslit) Test Report # 3166908SAT-011
- R&D Services: Resistance to the Growth of Fungi ASTM C1338 Test Report # RD072713FR
- State of California
- State of California Licensed Insulation Manufacturer
- State of Minnesota: Filed with Minnesota Insulation Standards Program
- State of Wisconsin: Wisconsin Material Approval, Safety and Buildings Division Approval # 920088-1 • R&D Services Emittance Testing
- R&D Services: Physical Properties Sheet Width, Length, Pliability, Water Vapor Permanence and Aged Water Vapor Permanence
- R&D Services: Water Vapor Transmission Test ASTM E96 (Dessicant Method)
- Cut three 2” wide strips of the Reflectix® Double Insulation product at twice the circumference of the water heater (to be utilized as spacers).
- Attach the three strips (doubled) around the circumference of the water heater (top, bottom and middle).
- Cut the Reflectix® at a width equal to the height of the water heater. Secondly, cut the product to a length equal to the circumference measured on the outside of the spacers plus 1”.
- If the water heater is taller than 48”, a section of product will need to be fashioned to make up the shortage. The seam between the 48” sheet and the “extension” piece will need to be taped with a UL 181 approved tape on both sides.
- Wrap the Reflectix® around the water heater and tape the vertical seam with with a UL 181 approved tape.
- Trim product around pressure valve and cut on both sides of thermostat housing to create a flap type cover for easy access. Additionally, cut product away from the cover of the lower access panel.
Note: Electric Water Heaters: Cut a circular section of the product the size of the top of the water heater. Trim to accommodate wires, pipes and relief valve. Next, tape (UL 181 Acrylic Adhesive Foil Tape) the circular (product) section to the top of the water heater. Do not use product on top of gas water heaters.
Note: Electric Water Heaters: Check to insure heater is wired to meet local codes.
Note: Gas Water Heaters: Do not install the insulation below the bottom of the water heater tank. This area is to allow combustion air. Do not use product on top of gas water heaters.
Note: All Water Heaters: Refer to owners or operating manual and follow any instructions provided for insulating the unit.
Review These Important Safety Guidelines Prior to Installation:
- ALWAYS check local building codes before installing Reflectix®.
- ALWAYS check the area you are insulating and make any needed repairs. Any worn wiring should be replaced before you begin installing Reflectix®.
- ALWAYS make sure work areas are well ventilated and well lighted.
- ALWAYS use eye protection when operating a staple gun.
- ALWAYS use caution and common sense when using a staple gun. Be aware of electrical wiring locations. Stapling into a wire can cause severe shock or death. NEVER staple into electrical wiring.
- ALWAYS be careful when working with large pieces of Reflectix® on windy days.
- When installing Reflectix® on bright sunny days, it is best to wear sun glasses.
- Do not work in areas such as attics when temperatures are too hot.
- Please Note: The intention of these Installation Instructions and 3-D renderings are for the sole purpose of illustrating the correct location and relative position of the Reflectix® products in specific building assemblies. The correct construction methods and techniques are the responsibility of the installer or contractor. The methods outlined are recommendations on location of the Reflectix® products as a guideline. There are no claims on the part of Reflectix, Inc. that these building assemblies are finite standards or meet building code requirements (as they can vary by region).
Pictured: Double Reflective Insulation