R-21 Total Assembly (R-3.9 and a Vapor/Moisture Barrier for the Reflectix®)
Note: Installation instructions and illustrated drawings are recommendations only, while proper local construction methods are the responsibility of the installer.
Reflectix® is an excellent upgrade for an exterior 2”x 6” stud wall (new construction). The product provides a vapor/moisture barrier, which is a significant factor in the efficiency of the system. Reflectix® is available in convenient roll sizes which contributes to ease of handling and installation.
Double Reflective Insulation
Staple Tab, Reflective/Bubble/Bubble/Reflective – Roll
- ST16050 (16” x 50’)
- ST16100 (16” x 100’)
- R-21 total assembly (R-3.9 for the Reflectix®)
- Vapor retarder and moisture barrier
- Installs quickly and easily
- Additional product cost pays for itself over time
- Resists growth of fungi, mold and mildew
- Non-toxic / non-carcinogenic
- Install R-19, un-faced, per manufacturer’s specifications.
- Place one corner edge of the Reflectix® in an upper corner of the stud cavity. Staple the product to the side of the stud (creating a 3/4” tab on the product and compressing into the fiberglass (3/4” as well)). The edge of the product should be flush with the forward corner of the stud.
- Proceed “down” stapling to the side of the stud every 2″- 3”.
- Repeat procedure on opposite stud.
- The Goal: Create a continuous 3/4” air space between the product and the interior panel.
- Finish wall interior.
Review These Important Safety Guidelines Prior to Installation:
- ALWAYS check local building codes before installing Reflectix®.
- ALWAYS check the area you are insulating and make any needed repairs. Any worn wiring should be replaced before you begin installing Reflectix®.
- ALWAYS make sure work areas are well ventilated and well lighted.
- ALWAYS use eye protection when operating a staple gun.
- ALWAYS use caution and common sense when using a staple gun. Be aware of electrical wiring locations. Stapling into a wire can cause severe shock or death. NEVER staple into electrical wiring.
- ALWAYS be careful when working with large pieces of Reflectix® on windy days.
- When installing Reflectix® on bright sunny days, it is best to wear sun glasses.
- Do not work in areas such as attics when temperatures are too hot.
- Please Note: The intention of these Installation Instructions and 3-D renderings are for the sole purpose of illustrating the correct location and relative position of the Reflectix® products in specific building assemblies. The correct construction methods and techniques are the responsibility of the installer or contractor. The methods outlined are recommendations on location of the Reflectix® products as a guideline. There are no claims on the part of Reflectix, Inc. that these building assemblies are finite standards or meet building code requirements (as they can vary by region).
Reflectix Fact Sheet per FTC
Testing and Certification
Reflectix® products are thoroughly tested at either nationally approved, independent laboratories or leading universities. Tests are performed to current American Society of Testing and Materials (ASTM) standards when a standard exists. To obtain a copy of our Product Testing Specifications, please refer to the “Additional Resources” tab. The documents are also available by e-mail at email@example.com or call (800) 879-3645.
Add'l Resources / Literature
Pictured: 1. Double Reflective Insulation, 2. Double Reflective Insulation with Staple Tab, 3. Tools for Installation