Crawl Space - R-21 "New"
Reflectix is now offering a dramatically
Double Reflective Insulation
• BP24025 (24” x 25’)
• BP48025 (48" x 25')
• ST16025 (16” x 25’)
• ST24025 (24” x 25’)
Note: Click here for information on our larger rolls which are available by Special Order at the Contractor or Customer Service Desks.Benefits:
• R-21 and fiber freeTesting and Certification:
• Installs quickly because of its easy-to-handle characteristics and convenient roll sizes
• No need to insulate ducts or pipes between the product and the sub-floor
• Does not require protective garments or respirators when installing
• Resists growth of fungi, mold and mildew
• Does not support insects or rodents
• Vapor / radon retarder
• When properly installed, prevents ground moisture from causing dry rot
Reflectix® products are thoroughly tested at either nationally approved, independent laboratories or leading universities. Tests are performed to current American Society of Testing and Materials (ASTM) standards when a standard exists. To obtain a copy of our Product Testing Specifications, please refer to our website “Literature Tab” above. The documents are also available by e-mail at email@example.com or call 800-879-3645.
Air Space Requirements:
Click here for Air Space Requirements (Revised 0713).pdf
Federal Trade Commission Fact Sheet:
Click here for the FTC Fact Sheet (Revised 0215).pdf
Download DIY Crawl Space R-21 Installation Instructions 0714.pdf
This application meets the thermal performance requirements for new construction in the 2009, 2012 International Energy Conservation Codes for Climate Zones 1, 2, 3 and 4.Important:
Note: This product is reflective on both sides and the direction of product installation is not pertinent to thermal performance.
Note: For this application it is recommended to use at least 3/8 inch staples that are Heavy Duty or Galvanized.
• Inspect the crawl space and make any needed repairs before installing Reflectix® Reflective/Bubble product.
• For floor joists that are 16” on-center, the installation is easiest with the Reflectix® Staple Tab (ST) product.
• Determine if there are water pipes and heating ducts which hang below the floor joists. They will need to be insulated. There is no need to wrap water pipes or duct work that fall between floor joists. Reflectix® will provide adequate insulating without extra wrapping.
• Begin at one end of the house and staple the first course of product to the top of the band board or the subfloor (also terminating this course in this fashion). Insert the Reflectix® half way up into the joist cavity and staple (at approximately 3” to 4” intervals) the edge of the product to the side of the joist. The resulting product installation will split the cavity into two approximately equal air spaces. It is easiest to utilize the Reflectix® Reflective/Bubble/Bubble/Reflective, Staple Tab product for this step.
• For cross bracing, refer to the type of bracing directly below for installation techniques:
Terminate the product at the brace. End staple to the middle of the brace. Continue with the installation on the opposite side, stapling the product to the brace at the approximate mid-point in the cavity.
Extend the product 5 inches beyond the brace. Cut the product perpendicular to the joist direction at this point. Cut a slit down the middle of the product 3 inches beyond the middle of the cross. Run each flap of product through the cross (one flap on each side), stapling the product to the side of the joist. Continue the product run on the opposite side of the cross brace as before. Tape all seams (horizontal and parallel) with Reflectix® Foil Tape.
• Continue with the second course of product at one end of a joist cavity (after the first course has been installed) and secure the product “end” with staples to the band board. Proceed down the joists by stapling each edge (or middle of the Reflective/Bubble/Bubble/Reflective 48” wide product) to the face (bottom surface) of each joist. Staple the product at intervals of approximately 3” to 4”. At the end of the product run, staple the Reflectix® to the band board.
• Seal the seams with Reflectix® Foil Tape. This product is a vapor barrier with the seams sealed, no additional vapor barrier products are necessary.
• Any penetrations, openings, rips or tears shall be sealed with Reflectix® Foil Tape or an equivalent.
F1 - Energy Saving Solutions for the Homeowner (Revised 0711)
F2 - Solutions for the Pro (Revised 0416)