ENERGY STAR was created to help consumers easily identify products, homes, and buildings that save energy and money, and help protect the environment. As the government-backed, trusted symbol for energy efficiency, the ENERGY STAR label identifies highly-efficient products and designates superior energy performance in homes and buildings. Reflectix is proud to offer insulation products that help meet the performance goals of ENERGY STAR Home Sealing.
Consumers are less concerned about how energy barriers work than they are about their effect on utility bills. This is much less than the 94% + reduction in attic radiant heat flow because other forms of heat flow contribute to the total cooling (or heating) load. Data can expect to vary with region. The following data provided by the Florida Solar Energy Center (FSEC) demonstrates the economic savings possible for a typical Florida home:
• During the summer, an attic radiant barrier will reduce heat gain through the ceiling by up to 40 percent. This will in turn save up to 10 percent on the cooling portion of electricity costs in a typical Florida home. That equates to about a 3 to 6 percent savings on the entire annual electricity bill. Because attics account for only about 15 to 25 percent of the total heat gain into a Florida home, it's impossible for any attic energy conservation measure to save 40 percent on the total bill.
• During the summer only about 20 to 30 percent of the air conditioner load is due to heat gain through the ceiling. Thus the 40 percent reduction reduces the total cooling load of the home by 8 to 12 percent.
• This 8 to 12 percent energy savings occurs in only the cooling season. Even recognizing that radiant barriers are also effective during the heating season, the major benefit appears to be in reduction in the air conditioning load.
• Finally, the space-conditioning load is only a part of the total electric utility bill. Annual utility bill savings can be reasonably estimated to range between about 2 and 10 percent.
• Payback period is from six to seven years.
• A 15 to 19 percent percent return on investment can be expected.
Sources: Electric Power Research Institute - CA, Oak Ridge National Laboratory - TN, Florida Solar Energy Center - FL
Reflectix® Insulation is labeled as part of ENERGY STAR® Home Sealing. When installed properly Reflectix® helps ensure homes stay comfortable and energy efficient all year long.
PHONE: (765) 533-4332 | (800) 879-3645 | FAX: (765) 533-2327
Reflectix Inc. #1 School Street, P.O. Box 108, Markleville, IN 46056
All photos, literature & illustrations are © 2014 Reflectix, Inc.