Note: Installation instructions and illustrated drawings are recommendations only, while proper local construction methods are the responsibility of the installer.
When considering options for a crawl space, Reflectix® Reflective/Bubble product is the easiest (to handle) choice available. It comes in convenient roll sizes that install cleanly and quickly. The product is dust and fiber-free, and does not require any protective garments or respirators to work with.
Double Reflective Insulation
Reflective/Bubble/Bubble/Reflective – Roll
- BP24050 (24” x 50’)
- BP24100 (24” x 100’)
- BP48050 (48″ x 50′)
- BP48100 (48″ x 100′)
Staple Tab, Reflective/Bubble/Bubble/Reflective – Roll
- ST16050 (16” x 50’)
- ST16100 (16” x 100’)
- ST24050 (24” x 50’)
- ST24100 (24” x 100’)
- R-16 and fiber-free
- Installs quickly because of its easy-to-handle characteristics and convenient roll sizes
- No need to insulate ducts or pipes between the product and the sub-floor
- Does not require protective garments or respirators when installing
- Resists growth of fungi, mold and mildew
- Does not support insects or rodents
- Vapor / radon retarder
- When properly installed, prevents ground moisture from causing dry rot
Note: This product is reflective on both sides and the direction of product installation is not pertinent to thermal performance.
Note: For this application it is recommended to use at least 3/8 inch staples that are Heavy Duty or Galvanized.
- Inspect the crawl space and make any needed repairs before installing the Reflectix® Reflective/Bubble product.
- Check the crawl space to determine whether the floor joists are 16” or 24” on-center.
- Determine if there are water pipes and heating ducts which hang below the floor joists. They will need to be insulated. Reflectix® Pipe Wrap and Duct Insulations are designed specifically for this use. There is no need to wrap water pipes or duct work that fall between floor joists. Reflectix® will provide adequate insulating without extra wrapping.
- Start at the end of the house and face staple to the bottom of the floor joists. Seal seams with Reflectix® Foil Tape to create a vapor barrier. At the end, staple up to the sub-floor or band board.
- Note: Existing mass insulation in the joist cavities must be dry prior to installing the Reflectix® product.
Review These Important Safety Guidelines Prior to Installation:
- ALWAYS check local building codes before installing Reflectix®.
- ALWAYS check the area you are insulating and make any needed repairs. Any worn wiring should be replaced before you begin installing Reflectix®.
- ALWAYS make sure work areas are well ventilated and well lighted.
- ALWAYS use eye protection when operating a staple gun.
- ALWAYS use caution and common sense when using a staple gun. Be aware of electrical wiring locations. Stapling into a wire can cause severe shock or death. NEVER staple into electrical wiring.
- ALWAYS be careful when working with large pieces of Reflectix® on windy days.
- When installing Reflectix® on bright sunny days, it is best to wear sun glasses.
- Do not work in areas such as attics when temperatures are too hot.
- Please Note: The intention of these Installation Instructions and 3-D renderings are for the sole purpose of illustrating the correct location and relative position of the Reflectix® products in specific building assemblies. The correct construction methods and techniques are the responsibility of the installer or contractor. The methods outlined are recommendations on location of the Reflectix® products as a guideline. There are no claims on the part of Reflectix, Inc. that these building assemblies are finite standards or meet building code requirements (as they can vary by region).
FTC Fact Sheet
Testing and Certification
Reflectix® products are thoroughly tested at either nationally approved, independent laboratories or leading universities. Tests are performed to current American Society of Testing and Materials (ASTM) standards when a standard exists. To obtain a copy of our Product Testing Specifications, please refer to the “Additional Resources” tab. The documents are also available by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (800) 879-3645.
Add'l Resources / Literature
Pictured: 1. Double Reflective Insulation, 2. Double Reflective Insulation with Staple Tab, 3. Tools for Installation, 4. Product Installation