Note: Installation instructions and illustrated drawings are recommendations only, while proper local construction methods are the responsibility of the installer.
The Reflectix® Concrete Slab Insulation is an innovative, easy to handle product that increases the energy efficiency of radiant floor and snow melt systems (under concrete). The foil, within the product, acts to spread out the heat signature of heating coils resulting in a more even floor/slab surface temperature.
Reflectix® Concrete Slab Insulation consists of seven layers. The first layer of white poly is bonded to foil to protect from lime in curing concrete. Each outer layer is bonded to a tough layer of polyethylene for strength. Two inner layers of insulating bubbles resist conductive heat flow while a center layer of polyethylene gives Reflectix® high reliability and strength.
- Foil is protected from lime in curing concrete
- White poly shields foil from high alkaline content in soil
- Reflectix reduces / eliminates ground water intrusion into the slab
- Non-toxic / non-carcinogenic
- Lowers heating and cooling costs year-round
- Costs less to install
- Vapor / radon retarder
- Not affected by moisture or humidity
- Lightweight and clean
- Resists growth of fungi, mold and mildew
- Does not promote nesting of birds, insects or rodents
- Moisture barrier
- Does not require protective clothing or respirators to install
- ISO 9001:2015 certified manufacturing location
Part Numbers and Sizes
- DBWEF48125 (48”x 125’)
- Temperature Range: -30 to +180 F
- Nominal Thickness: 5/16 inch (.312)
- Weight: 1.25 oz./sq. ft.
- Linear Shrinkage: None
- Water Vapor Transmission (ASTM E 96): 0.02 Perms
- Puncture Resistance: 60 lb./in.
- Mold and Mildew: No Growth
- Tensile Strength: 3.7 N/mm
- Pliability: No Cracking
- Physical Properties – Compression: 6%
Testing and Certification
- Thermal Performance ASTM C518
- Fungus Resistance Mil-Std 810B Method 508
- Pliability Test
- Water Vapor Transmission ASTM E96
- Tensile Strength
Concrete Slab (Snow Melt)
- Unroll the Reflectix® Concrete Slab Insulation product over the base material prior to pouring the concrete (white poly side facing up).
- Butt the seams of the product and seal with 3” wide poly tape. Note: Utilize a flat edge taping tool to assure good adhesion on all tape.
- Install Snow Melt System per manufacturer’s specifications.
Review These Important Safety Guidelines Prior to Installation:
- ALWAYS check local building codes before installing Reflectix®.
- ALWAYS check the area you are insulating and make any needed repairs. Any worn wiring should be replaced before you begin installing Reflectix®.
- ALWAYS make sure work areas are well ventilated and well lighted.
- ALWAYS use eye protection when operating a staple gun.
- ALWAYS use caution and common sense when using a staple gun. Be aware of electrical wiring locations. Stapling into a wire can cause severe shock or death. NEVER staple into electrical wiring.
- ALWAYS be careful when working with large pieces of Reflectix® on windy days.
- When installing Reflectix® on bright sunny days, it is best to wear sun glasses.
- Do not work in areas such as attics when temperatures are too hot.
- Please Note: The intention of these Installation Instructions and 3-D renderings are for the sole purpose of illustrating the correct location and relative position of the Reflectix® products in specific building assemblies. The correct construction methods and techniques are the responsibility of the installer or contractor. The methods outlined are recommendations on location of the Reflectix® products as a guideline. There are no claims on the part of Reflectix, Inc. that these building assemblies are finite standards or meet building code requirements (as they can vary by region).
Pictured: 1. Concrete Slab Insulation, 2. Product Close-up