Note: Installation instructions and illustrated drawings are recommendations only, while proper local construction methods are the responsibility of the installer.
Reflectix® Duct Insulation is an alternative to other types of fibrous insulation products. Ease of handling and quick installation make Reflectix® the first choice when selecting insulation for round or rectangular ductwork in HVAC systems. The product provides an R-6.0 when installed with a 0.75” air gap between the duct and the insulation. There is a choice of three spacer configurations that create the required air space.
Reflectix® Outdoor Duct Insulation consists of two outer layers of aluminum foil that reflect 97% of radiant heat. The outside layer of foil is made of heavier foil. Each layer of foil is bonded to a tough layer of polyethylene for strength. Two inner layers of insulating bubbles resist conductive heat flow while a center layer of polyethylene gives Reflectix® high reliability and strength.
- Wrap rectangular or round ductwork in HVAC applications
- Heating costs can be greatly reduced
- Eliminate unnecessary heat loss / gain and air leakage
- Helps to ensure consistent temperatures
- Non-toxic / non-carcinogenic
- Lowers heating and cooling costs year-round
- Reflects 97% radiant heat
- Costs less to install
- Lightweight and clean
- Not affected by moisture or humidity
- Does not promote nesting of birds, insects or rodents
- Resists growth of fungi, mold and mildew
- Does not require protective clothing or respirators to install
- ISO 9001:2015 certified manufacturing location
Part Numbers and Sizes
- CDW48050 (48”x 50’)
- Temperature Range: 250 Operational
- Nominal Thickness: 5/16 inch (.312)
- Weight: 1.25 oz./sq. ft.
- Flame Spread Index (ASTM E 84): Less than 25
- Smoke Developed Index (ASTM E 84): Less than 50
- Fire Rating: Class A/Class 1
- Linear Shrinkage: None
- Reflectance (IR): 97%
- Water Vapor Transmission (ASTM E 96): 0.02
- Puncture Resistance: 60 lb./in.
- Mold and Mildew: No Growth
- Emittance: 0.03
- Tensile Strength: 3.7 N/mm
- Pliability: No Cracking
- Hot Surface Performance: Passed
Note: Not for use in direct contact on surface temperatures that are 180 F or greater.
Testing and Certification
- Thermal Performance ASTM C518
- Hot Surface Performance ASTM C411
- Flame Spread and Smoke Density ASTM E84
- Fungus Resistance Mil-Std 810B Method 508
- Pliability Test ASTM C1224
- Water Vapor Transmission ASTM E96
- Tensile Strength ASTM C751
- Emittance Testing ASTM C1371
- State of California
- State of California Licensed Insulation Manufacturer
- State of Minnesota: Filed with Minnesota Insulation Standards Program
- R&D Services Emittance Testing
- Warnock Hersey Professional Services, LTD: Physical Properties Sheet Width, Length, Pliability, Water Vapor Permanence and Aged Water Vapor Permanence Report # 1/92
- Warnock Hersey Professional Services, LTD: Water Vapor Transmission Test ASTM-E96 (Dessicant Method) Report # 1/91
Note: Installation instructions and illustrated drawings are recommendations only, while proper local construction methods are the responsibility of the installer. Standard Wrap (Circumference)
- Make sure all metal joints, seams and penetrations are sealed.
- Verify circumference of the duct.
- Cut the Reflectix® product to this length plus 1”.
- Wrap the product around the duct and securely tape the linear and circumference seams (overlapping 1”- 2”) with Butyl Foil Tape (goal is an air-tight, snug seam seal).
- Note: The heavier “reflective layer” side of the product should face the environmental elements.
- Do not leave any exposed duct or space where air can enter between the duct and the Reflectix®.
Please Note Regarding Hangers:
Strap Hanger: Wrap Reflectix® with the seam at the hanger. Tape seam tightly around hanger.
Review These Important Safety Guidelines Prior to Installation:
- ALWAYS check local building codes before installing Reflectix®.
- ALWAYS check the area you are insulating and make any needed repairs. Any worn wiring should be replaced before you begin installing Reflectix®.
- ALWAYS make sure work areas are well ventilated and well lighted.
- ALWAYS use eye protection when operating a staple gun.
- ALWAYS use caution and common sense when using a staple gun. Be aware of electrical wiring locations. Stapling into a wire can cause severe shock or death. NEVER staple into electrical wiring.
- ALWAYS be careful when working with large pieces of Reflectix® on windy days.
- When installing Reflectix® on bright sunny days, it is best to wear sun glasses.
- Do not work in areas such as attics when temperatures are too hot.
- Please Note: The intention of these Installation Instructions and 3-D renderings are for the sole purpose of illustrating the correct location and relative position of the Reflectix® products in specific building assemblies. The correct construction methods and techniques are the responsibility of the installer or contractor. The methods outlined are recommendations on location of the Reflectix® products as a guideline. There are no claims on the part of Reflectix, Inc. that these building assemblies are finite standards or meet building code requirements (as they can vary by region).
Pictured: 1. Outdoor Duct Insulation, 2 and 3. Outdoor Duct Insulation Close-up