Note: Installation instructions and illustrated drawings are recommendations only, while proper local construction methods are the responsibility of the installer.
This application is a great option for the Do-It-Yourselfer in reducing the energy consumption of the home’s water heater. Not only is Reflectix® quick and easy to install, it will pay for itself in as quickly as 9 months.
Note: Do not use product on top of gas water heaters.
Double Reflective Insulation
Reflective/Bubble/Bubble/Reflective – Roll
- BP48025 (48” x 25’)
- Installs quickly and easily
- Product does not contain fibers or dust that require respirators or protective garments
- Non-toxic / non-carcinogenic
Double Reflective Insulation
- Cut three 2” wide strips of the Reflectix® Reflective/Bubble/Bubble/Reflective product at twice the circumference of the water heater (to be utilized as spacers).
- Attach the three strips (doubled) around the circumference of the water heater (top, bottom and middle).
- Cut the Reflectix® at a width equal to the height of the water heater. Secondly, cut the length of the product equal to the circumference measured on the outside of the spacers plus 1”.
- If the water heater is taller than 48”, a section of product will need to be fashioned to make up the shortage. The seam between the 48” sheet and the “extension” piece will need to be taped with Reflectix® Foil Tape on both sides.
- Wrap the Reflectix® around the water heater and tape the vertical seam with Reflectix® Foil Tape.
- Trim product around pressure valve and cut on both sides of thermostat housing to create a flap type cover for easy access. Additionally, cut product away from the cover of the lower access panel.
Note: Electric Water Heaters Only – Cut a circular section of the product the size of the top of the water heater – trim to accommodate wires, pipes and relief valve. Tape (foil) the circular product section to the top of the water heater. Do not use product on top of gas water heaters.
Note: Electric Water Heaters – Check to insure heater is wired to meet local codes.
Note: Gas Water Heaters – Do not install the insulation below the bottom of the water heater tank. This area is to allow combustion air.
Note: All Water Heaters – Refer to owners or operating manual and follow any instructions provided for insulating the unit.
Review These Important Safety Guidelines Prior to Installation:
- ALWAYS check local building codes before installing Reflectix®.
- ALWAYS check the area you are insulating and make any needed repairs. Any worn wiring should be replaced before you begin installing Reflectix®.
- ALWAYS make sure work areas are well ventilated and well lighted.
- ALWAYS use eye protection when operating a staple gun.
- ALWAYS use caution and common sense when using a staple gun. Be aware of electrical wiring locations. Stapling into a wire can cause severe shock or death. NEVER staple into electrical wiring.
- ALWAYS be careful when working with large pieces of Reflectix® on windy days.
- When installing Reflectix® on bright sunny days, it is best to wear sun glasses.
- Do not work in areas such as attics when temperatures are too hot.
- Please Note: The intention of these Installation Instructions and 3-D renderings are for the sole purpose of illustrating the correct location and relative position of the Reflectix® products in specific building assemblies. The correct construction methods and techniques are the responsibility of the installer or contractor. The methods outlined are recommendations on location of the Reflectix® products as a guideline. There are no claims on the part of Reflectix, Inc. that these building assemblies are finite standards or meet building code requirements (as they can vary by region).
Testing and Certification
Reflectix® products are thoroughly tested at either nationally approved, independent laboratories or leading universities. Tests are performed to current American Society of Testing and Materials (ASTM) standards when a standard exists. To obtain a copy of our Product Testing Specifications, please refer to the “Additional Resources” tab. The documents are also available by e-mail at email@example.com or call (800) 879-3645.
Add'l Resources / Literature
Pictured: 1. Double Reflective Insulation, 2. Double Reflective Insulation with Staple Tab, 3. Tools for Installation