When considering options for a crawl space, Reflectix® Reflective/Bubble product is the easiest (to handle) choice available. It comes in convenient roll sizes that install cleanly and quickly. The product is dust and fiber-free, and does not require any protective garments or respirators to work with.
Double Reflective Insulation
Reflective/Bubble/Bubble/Reflective – Roll
- BP24050 (24” x 50’)
- BP24100 (24” x 100’)
- BP48050 (48″ x 50′)
- BP48100 (48″ x 100′)
Staple Tab, Reflective/Bubble/Bubble/Reflective – Roll
- ST16050 (16” x 50’)
- ST16100 (16” x 100’)
- ST24050 (24” x 50’)
- ST24100 (24” x 100’)
- R-16 and fiber-free
- Installs quickly because of its easy-to-handle characteristics and convenient roll sizes
- No need to insulate ducts or pipes between the product and the sub-floor
- Does not require protective garments or respirators when installing
- Resists growth of fungi, mold and mildew
- Does not support insects or rodents
- Vapor / radon retarder
- When properly installed, prevents ground moisture from causing dry rot
Installation Instruction pdf: PRO Crawl Space – R16 Revised 012021
Note: This product is reflective on both sides and the direction of product installation is not pertinent to thermal performance.
Note: For this application it is recommended to use at least 3/8 inch staples that are Heavy Duty or Galvanized.
- Inspect the crawl space and make any needed repairs before installing the Reflectix® Reflective/Bubble product.
- Check the crawl space to determine whether the floor joists are 16” or 24” on-center.
- Determine if there are water pipes and heating ducts which hang below the floor joists. They will need to be insulated. Reflectix® Pipe Wrap and Duct Insulations are designed specifically for this use. There is no need to wrap water pipes or duct work that fall between floor joists. Reflectix® will provide adequate insulating without extra wrapping.
- Start at the end of the house and face staple to the bottom of the floor joists. Seal seams with Reflectix® Foil Tape to create a vapor barrier. At the end, staple up to the sub-floor or band board.
- Note: Existing mass insulation in the joist cavities must be dry prior to installing the Reflectix® product.
Review These Important Safety Guidelines Prior to Installation:
- ALWAYS check local building codes before installing Reflectix®.
- ALWAYS check the area you are insulating and make any needed repairs. Any worn wiring should be replaced before you begin installing Reflectix®.
- ALWAYS make sure work areas are well ventilated and well lighted.
- ALWAYS use eye protection when operating a staple gun.
- ALWAYS use caution and common sense when using a staple gun. Be aware of electrical wiring locations. Stapling into a wire can cause severe shock or death. NEVER staple into electrical wiring.
- ALWAYS be careful when working with large pieces of Reflectix® on windy days.
- When installing Reflectix® on bright sunny days, it is best to wear sun glasses.
- Do not work in areas such as attics when temperatures are too hot.
Reflectix Fact Sheet per FTC
Testing and Certification
Add'l Resources / Literature
Pictured: 1. Double Reflective Insulation, 2. Double Reflective Insulation with Staple Tab, 3. Tools for Installation, 4. Product Installation