Note: Installation instructions and illustrated drawings are recommendations only, while proper local construction methods are the responsibility of the installer.
When considering options for a basement ceiling, Reflectix® Reflective/Bubble product is the easiest (to handle) choice available. It comes in convenient roll sizes that install cleanly and quickly. The product is dust and fiber-free, and does not require any protective garments or respirators to work with.
Double Reflective Insulation
Reflective/Bubble/Bubble/Reflective – Roll
- BP24025 (24” x 25’)
Staple Tab, Reflective/Bubble/Bubble/Reflective – Roll
- ST16025 (16” x 25’)
- ST24025 (24” x 25’)
- R-16 and fiber free
- Installs quickly because of its easy-to-handle characteristics and convenient roll sizes
- No need to insulate ducts or pipes between the product and the sub-floor
- Does not require protective garments or respirators when installing
- Resists growth of fungi, mold and mildew
- Does not support insects or rodents
Installation Instruction pdf: DIY Basement Ceiling Revised 012021
- Inspect the installation area and make any needed repairs before installing the Reflectix® Reflective/Bubble product.
- Check the basement ceiling to determine whether the joists are 16” or 24” on-center.
- Begin at one end of the house and staple the product to the top of the band board or the subfloor (also terminating this course in this fashion).
- Insert the Reflectix® half way up into the joist cavity and staple (at approximately 3” to 4” intervals) the edge of the product to the side of the joist.
- The goal is to split the joist cavity into two approximately equal enclosed air spaces.
- Finish the ceiling with the specified panel or sheetrock.
Review These Important Safety Guidelines Prior to Installation:
- ALWAYS check local building codes before installing Reflectix®.
- ALWAYS check the area you are insulating and make any needed repairs. Any worn wiring should be replaced before you begin installing Reflectix®.
- ALWAYS make sure work areas are well ventilated and well lighted.
- ALWAYS use eye protection when operating a staple gun.
- ALWAYS use caution and common sense when using a staple gun. Be aware of electrical wiring locations. Stapling into a wire can cause severe shock or death. NEVER staple into electrical wiring.
- ALWAYS be careful when working with large pieces of Reflectix® on windy days.
- When installing Reflectix® on bright sunny days, it is best to wear sun glasses.
- Do not work in areas such as attics when temperatures are too hot.
- Please Note: The intention of these Installation Instructions and 3-D renderings are for the sole purpose of illustrating the correct location and relative position of the Reflectix® products in specific building assemblies. The correct construction methods and techniques are the responsibility of the installer or contractor. The methods outlined are recommendations on location of the Reflectix® products as a guideline. There are no claims on the part of Reflectix, Inc. that these building assemblies are finite standards or meet building code requirements (as they can vary by region).
Reflectix Fact Sheet per FTC
Testing and Certification
Reflectix® products are thoroughly tested at either nationally approved, independent laboratories or leading universities. Tests are performed to current American Society of Testing and Materials (ASTM) standards when a standard exists. To obtain a copy of our Product Testing Specifications, please refer to the “Additional Resources” tab. The documents are also available by e-mail at email@example.com or call (800) 879-3645.
Add'l Resources / Literature
Pictured: 1. Double Reflective Insulation, 2. Double Reflective Insulation with Staple Tab, 3. Tools for Installation, 4. Product installation inside the cavity