The 2018 International Reflective Insulation Manufacturers (I-RIM) Conference was held May 9-10 at the beautiful Marriott Los Suenos Golf Resort and Spa in Puntarenas Costa Rica hosting guests from around the globe. Countries represented include the US, Canada, United Kingdom, France, Australia, Malaysia, Costa Rica, Argentina and Chile. RIMA-I President Doug Kinninger, International Conference Chairman Sergio Luconi and RIMA-I Executive Director Mary Edmondson hosted the event presented in both English and Spanish.
The 2-day educational conference was a great success with excellent presentations from all the countries listed and featuring Wednesday’s guest featured speaker Dr. William (Bill) Miller from Oak Ridge National Laboratory who presented a “Demonstration of Near Zero Energy Homes” and Thursday’s featured speaker Dr. Jan Kosny from Faunhofer Institute who gave a “Numerical and Experimental Analysis of Thermal Performance of Residential Attics Containing Aerogel-based Radiant Barrier Systems”.
Other presentations included:
- Innovations in the Manufacture of Reflective Films – Veronica Ataya
- Building Performance Software – Impact of Attic Radiant Barriers – Bill Lippy
- ASHRAE 90.1 Update – Monty Millspaugh
- RIMA-I Product Verification Evolution – Doug Kinninger
- Fundamentals and Techniques of Measuring Water Vapor Transmission – Michael Joyce
- The Power of the Marketplace – Steve Baden and Laurel Elam, RESNET
- Reflectives and the International Code Council (ICC) – Wes Hall
- Next Generation Reflective Insulation Facing Films – Ralph Dale
- Radiant Energy Management & the Versatility of IRCCs – Lynn Walters
- Regional Updates: Latin America – Sergio Luconi; Europe – Guy Delcroix; North America and Australia – Mike Boulding and SE Asia – Kah Wei Yam
- Latin America Building with Reflective Insulation Performance and Improvements After RIS – Pablo Sobrado
- About RIMA-I and the Advanced Building Code Coalition (ABCC) – Bobby Byrd
- New Digital Experiences – Mario Vargas
- Does the Presence of a Radiant Barrier Increase the Chance of a Lightning Strike? – Brian St. Germain
- Regulations in Latin America for Reflective Insulation – Pablo Sobrado
- SAP Business One – Juan Bautista
If you were unable to attend this year’s event, presentations will be available for purchase (in PDF format) for $25/presentation or $200 for the full set. Contact RIMA-I at firstname.lastname@example.org for details or to place your order. We’d also like to thank the following sponsors for their participation as well: Celplast Metallized Products, JX Nippon ANCI, Inc., ECHOTape, Thermal-Economics and the Advanced Building Code Coalition.
Networking and relationship building is also a large part of this event so both cocktail receptions and Thursday’s lunch were great social/networking events and a lot of fun as well. The next international event will be held in 2020 (dates/location to be determined). For more information on the 2018 I-RIM Conference including photos of the event and information on how to purchase copies of the presentations, please visit https://www.rimainternational.org/i-rim-conference/2018-i-rim-conferencecosta-rica/.
The Reflective Insulation Manufacturer’s Association International is a group of dedicated people working together to propagate the knowledge and use of reflective insulations and radiant barriers. RIMA-I has been the major force in establishing fair ASTM standards for testing and installation procedures. RIMA-I welcomes all who are interested in promoting and directing the growth of the industry. For more information about membership or the industry, please contact Executive Director Mary Edmondson at 800/279-4123 or visit us on our website at www.rimainternational.org.)